LOVE your neighbor as I have loved you (the greatest commandment of all time.) BEAUTY comes from within. Anything that does not GROW is dead. we all reach that proverbial fork in the road, the road that we choose is our DESTINY.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Reasons to be Grateful

*Hezekiah Walker's Grateful playing softly in the background*

This morning I woke up praising God and complaining simultaneously. You see, I haven't worked in FOREVER and I really need money. I can't express how much I need money. But I have this thing about HATING waking up before 9am especially when I have to because I am on somebody else's watch. On top of that, I am NOT a morning person! I don't talk in the morning, I don't smile, I don't want anything to do with anyone before 10:30am. So I had to do A LOT of praying to stay in the right mindset for my first day on this temp assignment.

I knew my job would be in downtown LA and I knew I would be working at some kind of mission doing some HR work. But it HIT me when I got to the mission... I got to one block and there were lines of homeless people...all over! Suddenly, I felt guilty for complaining about not having money. Truth is, although I don't know where my next month's rent is coming from, I'm not homeless. At least not yet...

When I woke up this morning I had a hot shower, put on clean clothes, cooked breakfast, and hopped in my car (which has half a tank of gas!!) This is my everyday reality, which compared to much of the world is a luxury! I know that right now I do feel that I am one paycheck away from being in a truly desperate situation but I was super humbled.

My problems which always seem big to me at the time are nothing different than somebody else has been through or is going through. I can name at least 4 other people in my immediate circle who are going through the same thing! My problems really aren't that big of a deal. And when I feel like complaining maybe I just need to drive down Skidrow where people are really struggling.

Life ain't no crystal stairs... I don't know why I thought I was excluded from this truth.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home